Skip to main content

Search This Blog

Markups and Gluten-Free

I learned about a year ago that due to a rare genetic disorder I have that it would be best for me to be on a gluten free diet. There are other restrictions of course too, but this is one that more people are familiar with. At the time that I was diagnosed I was managing a community owned grocery store, so I had some first hand knowledge of how markups worked and what they were.

Even before I was diagnosed it bothered me that a box of regular pasta would have a suggested mark-up of 20-35%, but the already more expensive gluten-free pasta would have a suggested mark-up of  55-80%. I realize that some people are on gluten-free as a fad, but there are some of us who really need to be gluten-free. It seemed immoral to me that just being gluten-free meant the wholesaler was suggesting that we have a higher mark-up. With approval from our community board I lowered markups on diet-specialty items to be inline with more mainstream groceries. This belief in fair and just pricing is something I have brought into my online store too. Just because my suppliers suggest a mark-up of 70+% on items doesn't mean I will sell it at that price; my goal is to not only have good and fair prices, but to have prices that I can feel right about charging. Doing this has allowed me to sell the majority of my stock at non-sale prices of 15-60% below Suggested Retail Prices.

While I currently do not sell food: gluten-free or otherwise. It is my goal to always sell at fair prices.

Visit us as redemptionridgeretail.com If you like what you see tell your family & friends; if not let me know and I will strive to remedy it,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Success

Sometimes, we feel like giving up. It seems like we put a lot of effort in and never succeed, but maybe if we were to take a step back: we would see that we are having a series of small wins. Even if we can't, we might need to remember to view "failure" in the light of a lesson learned. Shortly before He invented his light bulb, Thomas Edison is attributed to saying "I have not failed; I have discovered 1,000 ways not to make a light bulb." We want to encourage you today to not give up. The only way to surely fail is to never try or to stop trying. You may need a new approach, or a slight modification to your plan or goal; but do not give up on any worthwhile goal.
We all struggle with waisting time from time to time.  We hope that today you are encouraged to make good use of the time that you have been given. We are all given the same amount of time each day, but how we use it will say a lot. An hour wasted today is an hour lost forever. An hour spent today will reap a benefit today. An hour invested today will bring results for days and probably years to come.  Don't wait for inspiration: be the inspiration for others. Don't do everything yourself: include others to be part of your team. Don't worry what people will say: say the words of encouragement others need. Stop waiting to live life: start sharing the wonder of life. Don't be afraid: trust in God Don't complain: compliment someone instead. Don't leave unfinished tasks: Never put off till tomorrow what you should do today. Don't try to please everybody: seek to do what pleases God. Don't compare yourself (to others or even yoursel

Helpful tip of the day.

This idea  is neat, but I have found that using colored masking tape or even plain masking tape and writing what the cord is for work a whole lot better. Also if there is excess cords and they are gettin tangled you can loop the excess and twist tie the loop.